I'm For Bikes!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Trying To Remain Ert...


In one of my favorite scenes from "Private Benjamin", Sgt. Ross (Hal Williams) is giving the recruits instructions about their upcoming war exercise. At one point, he says "Beware... there are mine fields out there. Most of them are inert. However, some of them are ert."

I'm tired of being inert. It's time to be ert again. (Yes, I know it's not a real word. That's what makes it so funny, see?)

This silly line never fails to crack me up. No, really. I'm laughing about it right now!

So...I have severely neglected this blog. Again. And again. And...well, you get the point. I have also neglected any kind of training whatsoever, at least on a consistent basis. Again. No surprise there.

I haven't been completely inert, though. I've participated in races - most recently, Hog Dash3, which is one of those muddy, dirty obstacle course deals. It was a 7K and it took me about 3 hours to finish, but it was FUN!! I did all but the 2nd-last obstacle, a 14 ft. wall called "The Beast". I wanted to do it but I knew I was done in, so I skipped it. I'll get it next year.

This is the obstacle called The Beast. One of the coolest pics EVER. No, I didn't take it.
My team and I had a blast. We were gloriously covered in mud, cuts, scrapes, and bruises, but we FINISHED! Here's a little before-and-after collage I made of me and Sig (who, by the way, DID conquer The Beast. Yes, she's a rock star):

Anyway, back to being ert. I started graduate school in January (Masters degree) and have been pretty inert since then, training-wise. I'm still taking classes (on a short break just now having finished 2 classes recently). My sister and I decided in January to try and complete at least 365 miles of training this year and I'm woefully behind.

July 1st was the day. Perfect. First day of the month, it was a Monday, and I had just finished my grad classes for the first summer session. It is now July 3rd, and I'm happy to day that yes, I did get up and move yesterday as well - in spite of having spent all morning sitting through jury duty at the federal courthouse (not picked yet - have to return July 29th).

No more being inert. I am suffering for it, for sure. I don't like this.

I'm going to hold myself accountable again and post here more often - every day if I can, even if it's just a record of the day's training. My sis and I are resuming our 1 5K per month goal too, so I'll put up some race reports. In fact, I think I'll do one for Hog Dash in a bit here. It really was a lot of fun.

So, here are my numbers from July 1 & 2:

Monday, July 1
2.68 miles in 00:58:30
calories burned: 353

Tuesday, July 2
2.71 miles in 01:07:51
calories burned: 409

I've been doing the first mile with Riley pup, because she needs to lose weight. I do, too, so it works out beautifully. She will eventually do the whole route with me, but not just yet. Here's a pic of Riley on last night's jaunt:


So there you have it.

Here's to being ert.

2 comments:

DaCanon said...

welcome back

Cynthia O'H said...

I'm with you in terms of neglecting my blog - just started back this week. There is only so much time and graduate school should be at the top. Glad you're back at being ert - fitness-wise and blogging.